Sunday 29 July 2012

Retro Fruit

Hello!

I'm fighting for time these days. It seems I have too many things to do and definitely not enough time to do them! Finding time to stamp is seeming almost impossible!  Today I spent most of the day at the garden shop, the hardware shop, and then in my garden repotting roses and lemons and then making new pots for my girls to plant sunflowers. Today was a perfect "spring" day (in the middle of winter) - shorts and t-shirt weather, beautiful!

Anyway, I really AM here to show you a card. Here it is.
I used PTI Strawberry Patch stamps. Ink is SU! Poppy Parade, Garden Green, Green Galore. The patterned paper is (I think) Cosmo Cricket In the Garden. Card is PTI basic white.

This card is in response to two challenges. The layout is from Retro Sketches #22.
A really nice sketch, and I think I'll keep it to use another day. :-)

And the other challenge is CASology #3 with the theme FRUIT this week.

Just before I go, I have to share a recipe. I found this over at Laurie Willison's blog yesterday and promptly repinned the recipe on Pinterest and made the recipe for dessert last night.
Perfect Lemon Bars
The picture and recipe are from Baking Bites blog. I didn't photograph mine, but I can tell you, they looked exactly the same. This recipe is EASY and DELICIOUS (if you like lemon).
I altered the recipe slightly (reducing the sugar a bit).

This is the Baking Bites recipe (with my notes where I changed it):

Perfect Lemon Bars
Crust
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tbsp lemon zest (I used the zest of one lemon)
1/2 cup butter, room temperature

Filling
4 large eggs
1 1/3 cups sugar (I used 1 cup of sugar)
1 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed and strained (I used the juice of two lemons, which was about 190ml, because that was all I had)

Preheat oven to 350F. Line 9×9-inch baking pan with aluminum foil.
Make the crust. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, salt and lemon zest. Cut butter into chunks and add to flour mixture. Blend in with an electric mixer at low speed until mixture forms coarse, sandy crumbs. Pour into pan and press mixture down (with your fingers or the back of a spoon) into an even layer.
Bake for 16-19 minutes, until just lightly browned around the edges.

While crust is baking, make filling. Whisk together all filling ingredients in a large bowl.
When the crust comes out of the oven and is still hot, pour in filling mixture.
Bake for about 20 minutes, or until filling is set and does not jiggle when the pan is gently shaken.
Cool completely before slicing.
Top slices with confectioners’ sugar to serve.

Makes about 24 bars.


Thanks for coming by today.

Michelle
xxx


9 comments:

Karen Dunbrook said...

love it...so fresh looking...

Ardyth said...

Thanks for playing along with CASology this week - it's so funny to sit here baking in the extreme heat and think of you being in the middle of winter! lol! Love this strawberry card!

Tracey McNeely said...

Beautiful card Michelle, is it berry sweet. I love lemon and those bars look so yummy. Thanks for joining us this week at CASology!

Jen W. said...

Glad you found some time to make this adorable card, Michelle! Love the touch of patterned paper and that yummy ribbon. Thanks for playing along with CASology this week!

~amy~ said...

Your berry card is soooo CUTE and thanks for sharing the lemon bar recipe...one of my all time fav desserts.

Kara Lynne said...

The strawberries are wonderful! Great use of the sketch. I especially love the background paper and the duo colored sentiment.

Melissa said...

You threw me there talking about winter! It's so hot here lately that I'd almost be willing to take some winter cold...almost. :)
Those lemon bars look SO good and I'm going to have to try them now because DH LOVES lemon desserts! Thanks for sharing the recipe!!!
Love your happy strawberry card! The DP is a wonderful accent behind the main panel and I love how you cut out the one smaller berry! Thanks so much for joining us at CASology this week! :)

Darnell said...

Yum, where to start! Our posts are so similar today: chatting, card, recipe!! How about that. Your card, using both challenges, is great and so bright and cheerful! And the dessert-WOWO! Thank you so much for sharing!!

Imke said...

I love strawberries and your card looks great ! Love the matching DP !