Sunday 24 February 2013

Designer Strawberries!

Hello!

After I put the kids to bed tonight, I was determined to sneak in a little bit of "me" time before retiring myself. I achieved this, and while I was playing at my craft desk, I tried out a "new to me" technique. I'm a little excited! :-)
I used PTI Strawberry Patch and Strawberry Patch Sentiments. I inked up in PTI Fresh Snow and used SU! pastels. Card base is PTI Fine Linen, Card panel is SU! Night of Navy (night time photography makes it look a bit bluer than it is).

The new technique is a very OLD technique of white pigment ink coloured with pastels (using sponge daubers). I've never, ever tried this, and I was amazed at how well it worked. I sprayed over it with a fixative when I was finished, because I wasn't convinced the pastels would stay put. The fixative brought out the colours beautifully.

This card was made in response to two challenges. The first was Runway Inspired Challenge #30.
When I first saw this picture, I wasn't sure I would be able to come up with anything in response. The colours and designs are bold and dramatic, and not really in a style I usually work in. But I was struck with the creative problem/challenge, of getting bright colours to pop out of navy, so I've been working on this in my head for several days. I'm still working on how to make a card using the graphic yellow and black pattern. ;-)

The other challenge is being run by Lucy Abrams. Lucy has given us four sketches to consider, and I've been wanting to respond since the first one was released, but life has been a bit busy.  The sketch this card is based on is her second sketch.
All four of the sketches are down on my craft desk, waiting for some attention. I'm not sure I'll get to them all, but I'll give it a go. 

Thanks for dropping by!

Michelle
xxx

12 comments:

Shelly said...

Love your card and the colors! :) I have never tried your technique, let alone the old technique. Something, I may just have to play around with! Thanks for sharing. :)

Darnell said...

Your card is so fantastic, Michelle, and just nails both those challenges! That strawberry looks so real and so juicy, just amazing! I've never tried that technique either; you have inspired me!!

Unknown said...

Amazing technique! I'm gonna have to try this! Looks so vivid on navy!

karen h said...

Michelle this is amazing! How did you manage to keep that so clean (I make a mess with pastels)?? Awesome card!

Anonymous said...

Another brilliant card Michelle! Great technique!
x

Tracey McNeely said...

Brilliant, I can't believe how clean this is. Amazing Michelle!

Marybeth said...

Love this Michelle, I will have to give it a try! Beautiful on the Navy!

Kristie Goulet said...

Really great card Michelle! Will have to give this technique a try. Thanks!

Tenia Nelson said...

LOVE!!!

Colleen Dietrich said...

Great colors, and love how you chalked up that strawberry!

Jennifer Rzasa said...

Oh Michelle, this is delightful! Thanks for joining us on the Runway!

Lucy Abrams said...

Fab stamping. What a great interpretation of the sketch.
Thanks for entering my challenge.