Tuesday 29 January 2013

Clean and Simple Card Making 2 - Day 1

Hello!

I was starting to worry that my absent internet connection was going to seriously mess with my real-time participation in the Clean & Simple Card Making 2 online classes, but at the last minute service was restored. Hooray!

Today is Day 1. There is lots of inspiration to work with, and four sketches to choose from. So far, I have managed to make one card. Part of taking this class (and I did take Clean & Simple Card Making last year) is that I want to try some new things. So my choice of what lesson/idea to apply today was dictated by the technique I hadn't tried before - using misting sprays and a template.

I don't actually own any mists. I made my own using diluted re-inker in a mister bottle. It worked! It was MESSY! I almost gave up at the point that I had navy blue speckles all over the place (lucky I'd taken Tracey's tip and taken my work to the laundry tub - and I did clean up before the hubby discovered my mess!) I also discovered (again) that I have a serious shortage of sentiments in my stamp supply. That said, I'm VERY happy with the outcome and think I might try this again!
The photo doesn't do this card justice. White and navy work so well!  I made a template using the happy hexagon plate. I sprayed SU! Night of Navy over it and then set the card aside to dry while I worked on the other bits. I silver embossed the PTI Strawberry Patch sentiment, and stamped the PTI Star Prints sentiment in navy. The card was finished without those little stars, but I felt it needed just a little bit more, so on they went. :-)

I can't wait until tomorrow's class!

Michelle
xxx

15 comments:

Lynn said...

stunning! I love the mask.

~amy~ said...

love the masking!

Gayatri said...

Gorgeous background, Michelle! I want to try using the cover plate and spray. Maybe tomorrow!Your card is fab. Love the silver embossing:)

Anonymous said...

This is super cool, Michelle! I definitely have to try the homemade mist recipe. And the silver embossing on navy? Yummy!

Barb said...

LOVE the navy, Michelle! Fabulous take on Kristina's design! Your sprayed background turned out amazing!

Tracey McNeely said...

Michelle the blue is just fabulous and I love that you created a mask with the hexagons! See you at school!

karen h said...

Michelle, this is awesome! I love the little stars (a perfect touch).

Marlou McAlees said...

your card is fabulous!! love it :)

Kristie Goulet said...

I love this Michelle! The added stars are the perfect touch!

Virginia L. said...

Truly beautiful, Michelle! I adore the masking and window design! FABULOUS work with the class! Love the little banner sentiment, too!

Joyce said...

This is so great. I love your home made mist idea. I didn't' have the right mist either, and when I tried it, it just looked wet! (So I trashed it). The Blue and White are so striking together, and I love those little stars you added.

Jen W. said...

What a classy, fantastic card! Your misting looks amazing (clever idea for creating your own) and the silver sentiment really pops. The stars are the perfect finishing touch too!

Jenny said...

Even when you do have lots of sentiments you never have the right one still !!!
Gorgeous card and well done on the homemade mist...... Too messy for my craftroom :0)
Jenny x

Darnell said...

Awesome job, Michelle! What I love especially is that you made your own spray AND your own hexagon template! Girl! (Some of us just moved on to, ahem, other sketches. I don't want to say I took the easy way out, but I took the easy way out.)

I love navy and white together so I can believe it is even prettier IRL! Way to go!!

Tasnim said...

Wow this card looks SO cool! Love the masking and misting, and the silver embossed banner! The whole thing is just awesome!